Abilene
76° F
Clear
Clear
Brownwood
73° F
Mostly Cloudy
Mostly Cloudy
San Angelo
77° F
Scattered Clouds
Scattered Clouds
Advertisement
  • Fully-licensed Starbucks comes to North Abilene

    By Rachel Smith, Associate Producer, rsmith@ktxs.com
    Published On: Sep 15 2014 05:35:35 PM CDT
    ABILENE, Texas -

    If you’re a coffee lover, you’re in luck.  A fully-licensed Starbucks is opening on the north side of Abilene.

    The coffee shop is located on the ground floor of Abilene Christian University’s Brown Library.  Although the Starbucks is located on university property, the school is encouraging everyone in the community to come to the new coffee shop.  

    The Starbucks is replacing the coffee shop that was there previously, which used Starbucks coffee beans but was not considered an official Starbucks because it could not accept gift cards, sell merchandise, or offer the same menu as official Starbucks coffee shops.

    The new Starbucks will offer the full menu of drinks, food and seasonal specials and also accepts the highly-popular “My Starbucks Rewards” program.

    The Grand Opening is on Tuesday, September 16th from 2:30-5:30 pm in the Brown Library on ACU campus.

    The event, open to the public, will feature free Starbucks samples and host various student group performances along with a prize drawing.

    This Starbucks will be the first and only fully-licensed Starbucks on the north side of Abilene; there are two other Starbucks in Abilene, both located on the south side of town.

  • Police: Woman misled authorities over 2-year-old son's death

    Published On: Sep 15 2014 04:21:05 PM CDT
    Updated On: Sep 15 2014 04:21:16 PM CDT
    Meagan Work
    AUSTIN, Texas (AP) -

    Authorities say the mother of a 2-year-old boy whose body was found in a shallow grave in Austin gave inconsistent statements to police as to what happened to the child and why he was missing for weeks.

    An arrest affidavit released Monday shows 20-year-old Meagan Work gave conflicting accounts until investigators told her that her boyfriend, 29-year-old Michael Turner, had showed them where the boy, named Colton, was buried.

    She then said Colton died July 7 after having a seizure the day before. Police were told last week that the boy was missing and his remains were found Friday.

    Work and Turner each have been charged with tampering with evidence and remain in custody.

    Authorities say prosecutors are discussing additional charges that may be filed in the case.

  • Texas man in critical condition following fall during Texas-UCLA game

    Published On: Sep 15 2014 08:19:22 AM CDT
    Updated On: Sep 15 2014 08:27:33 AM CDT
    cowboys stadium

    DALLAS (AP) -

    Authorities say a man is in critical condition after falling more than 12 feet from the stands into a field-level suite during the Texas-UCLA college football game.

    A spokeswoman for John Peter Smith Hospital says the man was in the intensive care unit. No other information about him has been released.

    An Arlington Fire Department spokesman previously said the man fell 12-15 feet on Saturday at AT&T Stadium. The man was wearing a Texas shirt and was conscious when he was transported. The cause of the fall is unclear.

    The fire department has turned over the investigation to stadium authorities.

    The Longhorns lost the game 20-17.

  • Children apparently live unnoticed in squalor

    By By Kevin Conlon CNN
    Published On: Sep 13 2014 05:06:28 AM CDT
    Updated On: Sep 15 2014 01:20:28 AM CDT

    WCVB

    (CNN) -

    It was a shocking and gruesome discovery: three dead infants found in a Massachusetts home so squalid that police officers had to search it in hazmat suits.

    Now, days later, as investigators continue to search through what the Worcester County District Attorney's Office describes as the home's "deplorable conditions (such as) massive insect infestation, mounds of used diapers and feces," a picture is beginning to emerge of the family that lived inside.

    And it's a picture so deranged, so unfathomable to a reasonable mind, that even a lawyer for the accused calls the situation "completely inexplicable."

    Erika Murray was arraigned September 12 on a bevy of charges stemming from the discovery of the dead infants at her home the day before, but she has not been charged in their deaths. The 31-year-old pleaded not guilty to charges of concealing an out of wedlock fetal death, two counts of permitting substantial injury to a child, intimidation of a witness, cruelty to an animal and violating an abuse prevention order, according to Tim Connolly, a district attorney spokesman.

    Whether or not Murray is the mother is not known by authorities for certain at this point, but her attorney assumes that she is. "My expectation is that it will be confirmed that they were indeed hers," Keith Halpern told CNN.

    Murray lived in the now-condemned single family home with her longtime boyfriend, Ray Rivera, and the couple's children. Just how many children lived with them in the vermin-infested 1,150-square-foot home, however, depends on which parent you ask: of the four living children that the state removed from the home on August 28, Murray told investigators that Rivera, 38, only knew about two of them.

    The other two -- a 3 year old and an infant, according to Halpern -- were apparently not only born in secret but lived hidden from their father amid mountains of garbage under the same roof.

    Rivera also "presumably" did not know about the ones that had died, at least according to the account Murray has told authorities, Halpern said.

    "It is a mystery to me how Mr. Rivera could have failed to notice (the) numerous pregnancies (of) the woman with whom he shared a bed," said Halpern. "It's a mystery to me how he could have failed to realize that there were two children living under the same roof as him, and he didn't know about it."

    CNN was unable to reach Rivera or members of his family Sunday evening. He has not been charged with any crime, and there is no public record of physical abuse.

    'Prisoner of her own fear'

    Halpern said that while his client's explanation "is not based in reality," the situation Murray came to be in was the result of fear, not malice. "She was terrified of the pregnancies being discovered," said Halpern. "She was terrified of the two younger children being discovered. Why? I don't know the answer to that."

    Whether based in reality or not, Halpern said Murray was "a prisoner of her own fear" and suggested it was that fear that explains the three infants found dead in her home. "Try to imagine the state of mind of a woman who attempts to hide a pregnancy, go into labor and deliver children -- at least twice, but presumably five times -- on her own."

    "I feel certain that she did not do anything to harm any of these children," he said. "I don't think there will be a determination that they were killed."

    Though Halpern said he has yet to consult with a pathologist, he said it is not clear if they were ever alive to begin with or if they were all stillborn.

    Abuse suspected in 2007

    The state's removal of the four living children at the home last month was the result of the filing of what's called a 51A report in Massachusetts, according to Alec Loftus, a spokesman for the state's office of Health and Human Services. A 51A can be filed by any citizen with reason to believe that a child has been abused or neglected.

    This was not the first time a 51A had been filed when it came to that home, according to a Massachusetts Department of Children and Families spokeswoman. Cayenne Isaksen said such a report was previously received in 2007, but that "it was unsupported and therefore no case was opened."

    For now, Isaksen said DCF has Murray's four children in its care and is focused on "ensuring (their) safety and well-being and providing them with the proper medical care, support and services they need," she said. Connolly said that the family caring for them has no public statement to make at this time.

    Murray's case was adjourned to October 14. Investigators, meanwhile, remain at the scene digging through the squalor.

    "Our investigation will continue for quite some time," said Joseph Early, the Worcester County District Attorney.

  • Tuscola man sentenced to prison for not registering as sex offender

    By Maggie Gaskill, Senior Producer, mgaskill@ktxs.com
    Published On: Sep 15 2014 10:44:42 AM CDT
    Updated On: Sep 15 2014 10:45:20 AM CDT
    Troy E. Powell

    Troy Powell, 46, of Tuscola was sentenced to 48 months in prison for failing to register as a sex offender.

    ABILENE, Texas -

    A U.S. district judge sentenced Troy E. Powell, 46, to 48 months in prison for failure to register as a sex offender on Thursday.

    According to a press release by the U.S. Attorney's Northern District of Texas office, Powell moved to Tuscola in December 2013 from Illinois. Authorities claim he never registered as a Texas sex offender.

    Powell was convicted of a sexual offense in Colorado and was sentenced in September 1992.

    The case was investigated by the U.S. Marshals Service, the Abilene Police Department, the Texas Department of Public Safety, and police in Illinois.

  • AHS Head Coach Steve Warren Reflects on 'Crosstown' Win

    AHS head football coach Steve Warren joined Chris Wilner on KTXS Sports Sunday to chat about his teams' big win in the 'Crosstown Showdown'.

  • Sweetwater boy honored with parade

  • Adams Pro Golf Tour comes to Abilene to support a local ministry

  • Clay shoot raises money for Hendrick Children's Hospital

  • Teacher with HIV charged in sex assault

    A Texas music teacher is accused of sexually assaulting a 15-year-old boy he met online, possibly passing on HIV.