Kitchen fire in HSU dorm prompts student evacuation
Updated On: Oct 26 2012 12:44:59 PM CDT
The Behrens Residence Hall was evacuated shortly before midnight Thursday after the contents of a stove in a community kitchen caught fire.
Janlyn Thomas with HSU Public Relations said the fire started when a resident of the dorm was baking cookies. A Resident Assistant pulled the fire alarm to evacuate students. She also used a fire extinguisher to put the fire out.
The Abilene Fire Department responded to the fire. The fire was extinguished by the time they arrived.
The Behrens Residence Hall houses 135 freshmen women. There were approximately 60 to 70 there at the time of the fire.
Thaxton said there is no damage to the dorm. A screen in a kitchen window was broken to help smoke escape, but there is no lasting smoke damage.
Copyright 2012 by KTXS All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.