Woman sets fire to snake, which sets fire to home
Authorities say a northeast Texas woman recently learned a hard lesson: Don't try to kill a snake by setting it on fire.
The woman was cleaning the yard outside a home near Texarkana Wednesday night when she spotted a snake. Bowie County Sheriff's Capt. David Grable said she poured gasoline on the snake to try to kill it. Her son then dropped a lit match on the snake.
The engulfed snake slithered into some brush nearby the home. Grable said the brush ignited and started a fire that destroyed the home and damaged one next door.
Both homes were vacant, and no one was injured.
Grable said most snakes are harmless if left alone.
Copyright 2013 by The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.