From a city of Abilene news release:
The Mayor’s Council on Physical Fitness invites citizens to take 10 minutes towards a healthier lifestyle by participating in “Abilene on the Move” day Friday, Oct. 12. It is a day for families, individuals, groups, businesses and schools to take part in an activity that gets people moving.
“Beginning an active lifestyle can start with a simple ten minute walk,” said Mayor Norm Archibald. “Abilene on the Move” day is your chance to start living a healthy and physically fit life.”
Planned activities include City of Abilene employees joining Mayor Norm Archibald in a ten minute walk at 10 a.m. from City Hall and the Abilene Independent School District holding walking events at various times at participating schools.
Participate in “Abilene on the Move” day by:
• Walking the track at a local park
• Taking a ten-minute walk during break time or lunch
• Walking around your neighborhood
• Joining your child at the school track during their PE period
Schools and businesses are encouraged to organize an activity. Some examples are:
• Take a ten-minute walking break on October 12 at 10 a.m.
• Challenge your co-workers and/or departments to step out on the 12th and walk the block around your worksite
• Schools: Make October 12th your wellness day in PE. Invite parents and teachers to join students in walking the track during their PE class
If 10 a.m. is not a convenient time to take part in an activity, you are encouraged to schedule a time when it best fits into your day.