Texas boy, 12, burned while trying to kill ants
Investigators say a 12-year-old Southeast Texas boy has been critically burned in a fire he started when using gasoline to try to get rid of some ants.
The Liberty County Sheriff's Office said the boy from Dayton suffered burns over 80 percent of his body Sunday and was transported to a Houston hospital. The name of the child hasn't been released and further details on his condition were not immediately available Monday.
Capt. Ken DeFoor said the boy accidentally set himself on fire as he poured gasoline on the ant hills and tried to burn the insects.
DeFoor said the flame from the ant hills reached a plastic container of gasoline that the boy was using outside his home in Dayton, about 35 miles northeast of Houston.
Copyright 2013 by The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.