Abilene
79° F
Partly Cloudy
Partly Cloudy
Brownwood
82° F
Clear
Clear
San Angelo
84° F
Overcast
Overcast
Advertisement

Texas boy, 4, chokes on food at school, dies

Published On: Mar 22 2013 09:03:12 AM CDT
Updated On: Mar 22 2013 09:04:03 AM CDT

DALLAS (AP) -

A 4-year-old pre-kindergarten student has died after apparently choking on some food during lunch at a Dallas school.
    
The Dallas Independent School District says counselors were available Friday at Mount Auburn Elementary School.
    
A letter has been sent home to parents about Thursday's incident and the death of Manny Ramirez.
    
School officials say the boy was in the cafeteria eating with other children when he started coughing and choking. A school nurse managed to dislodge the food as others called 911 - then the boy suffered a seizure.
    
District spokeswoman Rebecca Rodriguez says CPR was performed but the boy died.