Abilene
82° F
Clear
Clear
Brownwood
81° F
Scattered Clouds
Scattered Clouds
San Angelo
81° F
Clear
Clear
Advertisement

U.S. Report: Richest 7% got richer, remaining 93% poorer during recovery

Published On: Apr 23 2013 11:31:31 AM CDT
Updated On: Apr 23 2013 11:31:47 AM CDT
Wealth Gap
WASHINGTON (AP) -

A new report says the richest Americans got richer during the first two years of the economic recovery while average net worth declined for the other 93 percent of the nation's households.
    
According to the Pew Research Center report, wealth held by the richest 7 percent of households rose 28 percent from 2009 to 2011, while the net worth of the other 93 percent of households dropped by 4 percent.
    
It said the main reason for the widening gap is that affluent households have stocks and other financial holdings that increased in value, while the less wealthy have more of their assets in their homes, which haven't fully regained their value since the housing downturn.