73° F
73° F
San Angelo
73° F

UPDATED: Names of victims released, Three dead in Early shooting, 'Good Samaritan' praised

By Shenna Stout, sstout@ktxs.com
Cassandra Garcia, cgarcia@ktxs.com
Jennifer Kendall, jkendall@ktxs.com
Published On: Jul 29 2012 04:57:41 PM CDT
Updated On: Jul 31 2012 08:23:59 AM CDT
EARLY, Texas -

David Michael House, 58, and Iris Valentina Martinez Calaci, 53, are the names of the victims Charles Conner, 58, allegedly shot to death Sunday afternoon.

Authorities are praising an unidentified “Good Samaritan” who reportedly shot a 58-year-old Early man in the thigh -- before the man was killed -- after the man allegedly gunned down House and Calaci neighbors and their two dogs.

The Brown County Sheriff's Office said House and Calaci were “travelers” from Arizona who had lived in the RV park for about two months.

In all, three people died during Sunday's shooting at about 2 p.m. at Peach House RV Park on Highway 183 North, the Brown County Sheriff's Office said.

Authorities, however, aren’t saying whether it was a shot by the praised “witness shooter” or by law enforcement that killed 58-year-old Charles Ronald Conner.

According to deputies, the deadly shooting may have began as a fight over a neighbor's dogs defecating on Conner's lawn.

"The subject (Conner) had complained about the dogs being in the yard and went over and argued with him (House), then walked away, came back with a gun, and shot the male subject," Brown County Sheriff Bobby Grubbs said.

Grubbs said Calaci then ran out of the trailer screaming.

"He chased her down and shot her and shot her again while she was down," Grubbs said, noting two dogs were also killed.

Authorities said they don’t believe the shooting was preplanned, even though they noted Conner owned multiple firearms found in his residence. They also said they found a notebook with hard-to-understand “ramblings” in it. Officials said Conner's family noted he had some "mental problems."

The death of Charles Conner will be investigated in the Texas Rangers ongoing investigation, and it will eventually go to a grand jury.

"This is a clean shooting. It was handled commendably by the officer, I don't think he had an option. He was under fire when he arrived; he handled himself very well," Grubbs said.

"The citizen that fired these shots did a tremendous job out there. Had he not had a gun and the presence of mind to do this, we don't know what the coutcome would've been," he added about the "witness-shooter."