Hardin-Simmons’ men’s tennis team advanced to the American Southwest Conference semifinals with a 5-1 win over LeTourneau on Friday evening at UT-Tyler.
The Cowboys jumped out to an early control of the match with three wins in doubles. Erich Bein and Nathan Chavez won 8-5 at No. 1, Sam May and Michael McCullough won 8-4 at No. 2 and Andrew Eurek and Michael McLaughlin won 8-3 at No. 3.
Bein won 6-2, 6-0 at No. 1 singles and Eurek won 6-4, 6-4 at No. 6 singles. LeTourneau’s only win came when Sam May retired in his match at No. 4 singles after rolling an ankle.
HSU is now 11-10 on the year and will play Texas-Tyler at 4:30 on Saturday in the semifinals. LeTourneau finished its season with a record of 13-7.
Hardin-Simmons 5, LeTourneau 1
1. Erich Bein (HSU) def. Kendall Beggs, 6-2, 6-0
2. Michael McCullough (HSU) vs. Laird Beaty, 4-6, 4-3, unfinished
3. Nathan Chavez (HSU) vs. Sindre Johnsgaard, 2-6, 1-4, unfinished
4. Josh Bailey (LETU) def. Sam May, 6-4, retired
5. Jordan Wilson (HSU) vs. Morgan Weaver, 7-5, 1-2, unfinished
6. Andrew Eurek (HSU) def. Michael McLaughlin, 6-4, 6-4
1. Erich Bein/Nathan Chavez (HSU) def. Josh Bailey/Laird Beaty, 8-5
2. Sam May/Michael McCullough (HSU) def. Kendall Beggs/Sindre Johnsgaard, 8-4
3. Andrew Eurek/Jordan Wilson (HSU) def. Morgan Weaver/Michael McLaughlin, 8-3
Information for this story provided by HSU Athletics.