Abilene
77° F
Clear
Clear
Brownwood
75° F
Partly Cloudy
Partly Cloudy
San Angelo
77° F
Clear
Clear
Advertisement

Man burned in fire at North Texas house dies

Published On: Feb 13 2014 08:15:29 AM CST
Updated On: Feb 13 2014 12:58:01 PM CST
Fatal fire
FORT WORTH, Texas (AP) -

Officials say a man critically burned after lighting a cigarette in a North Texas house that filled with gas as it was being heated with a kitchen stove has died.

The Fort Worth Star-Telegram reports 57-year-old Edward Able, who had second- and third-degree burns, died Wednesday at a Dallas hospital. He was injured in the fire Sunday night at a home in Sansom Park, located just northwest of Fort Worth.
    
Police Chief Randy Driver has said the home was being heated with a kitchen stove. He has it said appears that when the flame went out, the gas went up through a vent that didn't go outside but went into the attic.
    
Driver has said Able was burned when he lit a cigarette that ignited the fumes.