Abilene police have tracked down a juvenile who allegedly made a false report about a shooter inside Abilene High School early Thursday morning.
At about 8:05 a.m., dispatch received a 911 call from the juvenile who claimed "someone got shot and they are in the cafeteria."
An investigation led police to the 16-year-old who was allegedly found to be in possession of the cell phone from which the prank call had been made. Police confirmed the juvenile is an Abilene Independent School District student.
In a news release, police said other statements made by the juvenile led them to believe it was a false report and a school resource officer confirmed the shooting had not occurred.
After the prank call was made, police searched the school. Students were put on lockdown as a precautionary measure until about 9:45 a.m..
"Abilene high took appropriate action and followed their procedures. The school resource officer and Abilene police department responded," Lt. Joe Tauer said.
AISD sent emails to parents of AHS students notifying them of the prank. Before then however, rumors of an actual shooting--or much worse--quickly spread on social media.
"In a situation such as this, word of mouth travels fast and a lot of times people fill in the holes and make stuff up and that's what we want to minimize," Tauer said.
He said there is a lesson to be learned from the prank call.
"Don't pass along information--erroneous information and bad information--because all that does is cause that fear and anxiety to be that much worse and that's what we want to minimize," Tauer said.
Tauer said the teen could face a terroristic threat charge and AISD could file disciplinary action.