Abilene
86° F
Partly Cloudy
Partly Cloudy
Brownwood
82° F
Clear
Clear
San Angelo
86° F
Clear
Clear
Advertisement

Update: Abilene house fire burns family out of their home

Published On: Jun 03 2014 09:34:11 PM CDT
Updated On: Jun 04 2014 01:09:28 PM CDT
Taos house fire
ABILENE, Texas -

A fire that may have been started by a candle did $25,000 of damage Tuesday night to a house in the 5200 block of Taos Drive.

Flames and smoke were showing when the fire department arrived about 7 p.m. 

A neighbor had noticed smoke coming from the home and kicked in the front door to see if anyone was inside.

No one was home – or injured as a result – when the fire started, but the residents of the home, including two adults and three children, have had to seek shelter elsewhere.

Damage was reportedly sustained in at least two rooms of the house. The fire started in the bedroom near the nightstand, Lt. Mike Miller said in a news release.

“It is still under investigation at this time, but is believed to be either the electrical outlet or a nearby candle,” Miller said in the release.   

The Red Cross is assisting the family with accommodations.