McM men's Tennis tames Lions in Heartland opener, 7-2
McMurry men’s tennis team won five singles and two doubles matches, taking its Heartland Conference opener versus the University of Arkansas-Fort Smith, 7-2, at the Arlington Tennis Center. The win improved the War Hawks’ record to 2-4 overall (1-0 HC).
McM jumped ahead in the team score, 2-1, after doubles action. The War Hawks won at No. 1 doubles with Chris Breaux and Casjen Rico taking an 8-2 win over UAFS’ Chris Ramirez and J.T. Tasker. At No. 3 doubles, McMurry’s duo of Dustin Douglas and Preston Steblein defeated Ryan Heslop and Sean Manning, 8-6.
McM won the Nos. 1-2 singles matches, with Felipe Cruz and Chris Breaux taking the victories for the War Hawks. Cruz won in straight sets (6-2, 6-4).
Breaux had to work a bit harder. After dropping the first set (6-4) to the Lions’ Jesse Green, Breaux came back to win the final two sets (6-4, 6-4).
At No. 3 singles, Dani Perez lost a hard-fought three-set contest to Sean Manning (6-4, 4-6, 10-6).
The War Hawks took the Nos. 4-6 bouts, as well. Steblein (6-2, 6-3), Cristiano Mendes (7-5, 6-4) and Rico (6-1, 6-4) all won in straight sets, respectively.
McMurry Men's Tennis
Arkansas-Fort Smith vs McMurry University (Mar 07, 2014)
McMurry University 7, Arkansas-Fort Smith 2
Mar 07, 2014 at Arlington, Texas (Arlington Tennis Center)
1. Felipe Cruz (MCMMT) def. Chris Ramirez (UAFSMT) 6-2, 6-4
2. Chris Breaux (MCMMT) def. Jesse Green (UAFSMT) 4-6, 6-4, 6-4
3. Sean Manning (UAFSMT) def. Dani Perez (MCMMT) 6-4, 4-6, 10-6
4. Preston Steblein (MCMMT) def. Matt Tabler (UAFSMT) 6-2, 6-3
5. Cristiano Mendes (MCMMT) def. Ryan Heslop (UAFSMT) 7-5, 6-4
6. Casjen Rico (MCMMT) def. Caleb Gunsch (UAFSMT) 6-1, 6-4
1. Chris Breaux/Casjen Rico (MCMMT) def. Chris Ramirez/J.T. Tasker (UAFSMT) 8-2
2. Jesse Green/Matt Tabler (UAFSMT) def. Dani Perez/Felipe Cruz (MCMMT) 8-4
3. Dustin Douglas/Preston Steblein (MCMMT) def. Ryan Heslop/Sean Manning (UAFSMT) 8-6
Arkansas-Fort Smith 1-5, 0-1 HC
McMurry University 2-4, 1-0 HC
Information for this story provided by McMurry Athletics.